Money Doesn't Grow on Poodles

Over the last month I have purchased $160 worth of dog related paraphernalia that I cannot use. Before you assume I am an impulse buyer or drunken e-Bay shopper, let me give you a little background.


D'Art is showing his age, and after a recent trip to the vets, was diagnosed with arthritis. Over the last year he has lost about 5lbs, some of which was muscle mass from his hind legs. He's a bit wobbly when he plays with Teddy and Luna and sometimes his hind legs just give out altogether. This is hard for me to watch. So, after receiving the diagnosis of arthritis, I kicked into action to research and try alternative coping mechanisms.

First I bought Toe Grips. These wonderful little rubber toe nail grippers seem like an amazing solution, but my stubborn boy just wasn't having it. He made it is sole mission in life to remove those darn things (if even super-glued on)! He'd wait for me to leave the room and then go to town! I found them scattered around my house like purple deer droppings. Score one for D'Art! Thankfully, that company has amazing customer service and gladly accepted the used toe grips back and issued me a full refund. I highly recommend them if you think it would work for your dog.

Next, I bought DGP for Pets. One pill down and he had major tummy ache, gas and wouldn't eat AT ALL (he's already underweight, so I can't risk that). Again, probably a good product, but just not for my guy with the ultra-sensitive tummy!

Speaking of under weight, I spent HOURS researching alternative dog foods that are easy to digest, nutritious, and higher in calories and protein to see if I could get a bit more weight back on him. After finally deciding on one to try I went out and bought a $70 bag of food. He hated it. He literally refused to eat it for an entire week straight! Boy did that backfire on me! Score another point for D'Art! (Note to all reading this, I did not let him starve. He got other 'snacks' as well.)

Unrelated to his recent health struggles, I also bought a Slopper Stopper bowl to see if it would prevent D'Art from drooling water all over my new wood floors. Technically it worked, but none of the poodles actually liked to drink out of it so they just simply wouldn't drink. That's obviously not OK! So, a short time after putting it out, I took it away and reinstated the original bowl. Thank goodness for rags and towels!

So, $160 later I had a bunch of stuff I couldn't use and couldn't return. I HATE wasting things! The earth can't afford for us to be mindless consumers who buy things and promptly throw them away and my pocket book isn't that fond of it either. So, over the course of this last week I gave away all of those unused items. A needy family were given the dog food for their dog (yay for Craigslist), the bowl went to a man with a bloodhound, and the DCP for pets went to a sweet senior pup who can digest it! I feel good about that! 

As for D'Art. I love my old guy beyond words. I even love his stubbornness! He has a food he likes now, and I'm working with our vet to find a pain reliever that his body can handle so that he can live a happy, pain free life and continue playing with his poodle siblings!


Comments

  1. We just had our senior collie put on a pill for her arthritis. I can't remember the name though, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia and I were happy to take the DGP off your hands! She's been having acupuncture for her creaky bones. Don't know if it helps, but she seems to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam thinks D'Art is not stubborn, he is just discerning as any good poodle would be. LOL Yes, I completely understand; we've donated to a couple local shelters those items that don't meet the 4 paw review standards of the resident pup. 🐩

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. D'Art!! :) Emmett seems wholly unaware of the ToeGrips. It's a blessing for us because he's really struggling with muscle atrophy in his hind legs. The other suggestion I've seen is a pair of those PAWZ booties, but I know Emmett would hate those. I'm sorry the ToeGrips didn't work out for you, but I'm so glad to hear about your customer service experience!!

    As for the DGP, Emmett is still on it, and I know it does have some probiotic ingredients... but Em has a stomach of steel! Cooper can't take it because of the flavoring, but I've been really concerned about his joints because he runs so much, he's so athletic, and he's hit middle age! I researched green-lipped muscles and started him on a powered version of that. It smells AWFUL, but I've been happy with it so far? Although for him it's more of a preventative thing, so who knows in the long run.

    I'm glad to see your post, too! :) And I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though we haven't had to give anything away yet, I can relate to this. We're struggling with arthritis with our beagle Cricket too. It is so tough to see them falling over and struggling to get around like they used to. We're also trying the toe grips - so far we can't get them to stay on so we may have to try the super glue. We've spent quite a bit of money buying throw rugs to put on our wood floors which is where she has the most trouble (because she just won't slow down sometimes). She has shown improvement as far as pain goes - Rimadyl works well for, but she's always had a tough stomach for anything. Unfortunately, managing pain is about all we can really do for her, her back knee joints are so far gone they are beyond repair.
    I don't like to be wasteful either, so when I end up with stuff I can't use for the dogs, I'll either give it away to family, friends, our local shelter, or sometimes on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. D'Art is a dog that knows what he wants. Rodrigo and Sydney developed arthritis early in their lives and Sydney has been struggling for a while; recently I found that a combination of diatomaceous earth, turmeric paste, and Nupro joint and immunity supplement did wonders for her. It's been wonderful watching her playing with her siblings and racing around the property.

    For pain, she gets either CBD oil - it's expensive, but a bottle will last a while and it works. She also gets Duralactin (available on Amazon) which is a vanilla scented chewable.

    Best of luck with your pups and have a fabulous week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be afraid to add up all the misspent dollars on stuff for Cole! Including the harness, all the treats, the toys he wouldn't touch after one day, food that grossed him out, oy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts