Plasmactyoma

Plasmacytoma. Recently I had occasion to Google this word a few times. The first time was after speaking with my vet about the results of an aspiration she took from a lump on Teddy's hindquarters. She recommended we remove it surgically and days leading up to the surgery I Googled it at least two more times to reassure myself we were taking the appropriate course of action. 

A plasmacytoma is essentially a type of skin cancer. A tumor of plasma cell origin (a form of white blood cell). According to VCA Hospitals "Plasmacytomas in the skin are usually solitary benign tumors that grow rapidly but rarely recur after surgical removal. Malignant tumors are very rare." 

Nevertheless, my vet recommended we remove it and have it biopsied, so a couple of week's ago that is exactly what we did. Teddy also have a cyst removed at the same time as I was warned that they often rupture and get infected. It seemed logical to have the cyst out at the same time, but in hindsight I wonder if it was worth it. The spot on his leg is having a darned time healing on account of the staples pulling out with every up/down action of his leg. It's just in a bad location for healing and not moving his leg is out of the question. Teddy has the legs of a 63lb bunny with springs in his toes! The tumor, however, was further back on his hip. That area isn't under the same strain and healed easily. Anyway, hindsight is 20/20 they say!

This is where the plasmacytoma was. It is healing nicely.
The first night he was very uncomfortable and still drowsy from the surgery. I kept him company on the floor (he had his bed, I had a blanket). We didn't get much sleep. Thankfully, the next night was much better!


Moments after getting this look, I gave him a break from wearing the "buster collar". He's always very good about not licking his sore spots!
I am happy to report that the biopsy results came back and it was, in fact, a plasmactyoma. By excising it surgically that should (hopefully) take care of it once and for all. I count my lucky stars, as I have known people close to my heart who have lost family (two and four legged alike) to cancer. No one should have to go through that, but sadly we all too often do. 

I figure it's good to keep an eye out for these things. Make it a regular routine to check for lumps and bumps during a snuggle session with your dog and if anything funny pops-up, I recommend you talk to your vet! According to Pet MD "In addition to being found on the trunk and legs, mucocutaneous plasmacytomas may develop on the mouth, feet, and ears (lip tumors are particularly small and often overlooked). These tumors are generally solitary, solid nodules, either raised or ulcerated." So, armed with that knowledge, let's all take care to keep an extra eye out for lumps!

The staples were supposed to come out this week, but they areas aren't healed enough yet. I know one thing's for sure, Teddy will be happy when he can run and play with his poodle siblings again! See him racing-up behind Luna in this photo?


Fun play time! The whole reason for living!


Comments

  1. Big hugs to all of you. I'm so glad that everything came back with good news. Can't wait to see you on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name seemed kind of scary, so I worried when I first saw the title! I'm so glad this has turned out to be something not to worry about.
    As far as the cyst...I remember one time we had a growth removed from our beagle Kobi's head, and the darn thing would not stop bleeding! I was up all most of the night with him too, and I felt so bad about having it removed. But sometimes we just go with what our vet's recommend, we don't always really know any better than that. Hopefully that heals up as well soon, so Teddy can get back to playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew...so glad with the biopsy results. Poodles and cysts of many different varieties seem to go hand in hand-you're right...always good to take care of it as soon as possible to avoid long term serious health issues. Ear scratches for sweet Teddy with our paws crossed that recovery is swift and play can resume quickly. 🐩 🐾 Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness all is ok!!! It is harder with a dog like mine, Shetland Sheepdogs have so much fur that these things can easily go undetected.
    DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Teddy... heal quickly buddy. As to Luna's nail biting... never knew a dog to do that. I used to however, and it took a lot of will power, and constant polish to stop. They tried painting them with the bitter stuff when I was little but I just licked it off and continued. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts