Positive Training Blog Hop - Trust

I work from home; my office mates are my poodles and this suits me nicely. They don't talk much and I get a lot done in the course of a work day. Seeing as they have no deadlines to meet or projects to scope out, they can come and go as they please. On nice days they get to head outside for a while and if the bugs aren't bad I will leave the door open for them to come back in when they are ready. This, however, requires a certain level of trust. My property, although not near a road, is mostly unfenced. The poodles know the boundaries and we've worked on establishing them with positive training. Initially, to keep them in the immediate lawn, they stayed on leash with me. Once we graduated from that, I carried treats with me outside to keep them close and reward them for being so. They had earned my trust to be by themselves.
 

I still check on them now and then and offer praise for good behavior. Most times I can see them from my office window. 


Sometimes Teddy takes a nap right below the window so that he can hear me, but still enjoy the sensations of being outside. More often than not they want back in after a short period of time. Sometimes, if the door is left open, I will emerge from my office to find they've taken over all the good seats in the house.


If I leave it long enough they come to check on me. Before you know it I turn around, and there they are! I guess they care about me just as much as I do them!




Comments

  1. This is so sweet. There is no way I could trust my dogs like this and you have done such an amazing job. Sydney would be fine. Rodrigo likes to roam, Zoey follows Rodrigo, and Scout will follow too unless there's something more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what my dogs would do if I didn't have a fully fenced in yard. I rather suspect that they would enjoy exploring the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a brave soul with two A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Spoos. Sadly, Sam would follow his nose to Kansas if I let him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing! Barley would be gone at the first sight of a squirrel or rabbit--she'd probably come back eventually, but if the door were open, most likely a carcass would be coming in with her! Your pups are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poodles are very good! Mr. N refuses to stay outside without me for a prolonged period of time so he'd be with me anyway. Thanks for joining the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having my dogs around while i'm working. They're pretty good in the backyard, but sometimes if they're too quiet, I discover them doing some excavation work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed and impressed. I'm not sure I could ever have the trust or do the work required to get mine to this point. So I guess we'll stick to our fenced in yard. I wish it wasn't so buggy here so I could leave the door open and let them go in and out as they pleased. Playing door person is a big part of my day when I work at home (I work at home 2 days/week - you are lucky to be able to do it full time!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts