Old is Gold - The Mr. Mo Project and Senior Dog Rescue

As you may well know, D'Art came into our lives one month prior to his 9th birthday. Today he's 12 and I can't imagine our family without him. As far as I'm concerned, he's always been my boy and always will. Where love is concerned, time matters not!


 
Unfortunately, not everyone has this same opinion. Shortly after adopting him someone said to me "don't get too attached, he'll die soon" and I couldn't believe my ears! Three years on now, I wouldn't change it for the world. Really, I should thank that person, as their erroneous advice has fueled me to advocate for senior dogs.

That is why I am straying from my usual area of discussion to share The Mr. Mo Project with you. I am writing this by my own initiative; this is not a sponsored post, simply my desire to help get the word out about the importance of senior dog rescue.

Founded in memory of their sweet senior, Moses, this rescue takes it to the next level. Senior dogs that most people would walk right past in the shelter are welcomed with open arms, have their healthcare needs addressed and are permanently fostered by families where they live out the rest of their lives in comfort and happiness. What's more, The Mr. Mo Project recognizes that senior dogs often require extra healthcare and they cover the healthcare costs of each dog they rescue for the rest of their lives. That way, their foster families can focus 100% on love without the strain of expensive healthcare bills. If you're going to do it, do it right. In my opinion, the Mr. Mo Project does just that.


This image is property of The Mr. Mo Project
This image is property of The Mr. Mo Project

Another reason why this rescue hits home with me is that it is run by a husband and wife team, a similar age to my husband and I, who work full-time jobs and care for a family of 7 dogs on top of it all! Despite not having met, I'm sure I would like Chris and Mariesa Hughes. They are my kind of people and epitomize what you can do with a 24 hour day if you're fueled by passion and kindness. That said, as far as I know they don' t have a secret money tree growing in their backyard. They rely on a community of caring people, all across the globe, to donate if and when they can. Anyone can join in and help. They make it easy, with fundraisers like Dave's Dollar Days where you mail in a dollar in memory of another treasured, senior boy. 

What's more, if you're a sucker for a little online shopping, you can buy supplies and goodies for the project dogs. That way they directly benefit from your donation in a manner of your choosing. For example, want to send Winston (who uses a doggie wheelchair) some dog food or a new belly band? Check out his Amazon wishlist.


This photo is property of The Mr. Mo Project.
Fundraising efforts are announced on their Facebook page, so I encourage you to check them out at Gremlin The Therapy Dog Facebook Page. Additionally, you can see what some of the current Mr. Mo dogs are up to on The Mr. Mo Project Facebook Page.

And, if that weren't enough, you can find some cute "Life in the Doghouse" YouTube videos of Chris, Mariesa and their gang of pups. Yappy is one of my favorites! It always lifts my spirits and it includes the distinguished Mr. Mo!
 


What more can I say! I'm a sucker for the gray muzzle and foggy eyes that age often brings. I have my sweetheart D'Art to thank for that. He's a shining example of how wonderful a senior dog's presence in our lives can be. I'm not alone in this, everyone who meets D'Art loves him to pieces because he is such a friendly, happy-go-lucky guy! Adopting a senior dog has been nothing but a gift to our family. They have so much love to give and deserve to be loved in return. If you're looking to support a rescue group, I urge you to consider senior dog rescue and organizations like The Mr. Mo Project! Old really is gold!

Comments

  1. I could not agree more with you here. I have had the honor of meeting both Chris and Mariesa and featured their story in our pet magazine Crazy About Pets on Page 15 and a story about a lady who adopted her dog from Mr. Mo. Project on page 14. Check it out at www.issuu.com/creativityunleashed. The story is in the second issue (blue cover). Thank you for recognizing this great rescue. It is amazing and brings you to tears when you see what these people do for senior dogs - and people! Thank you too for adopting and loving an older dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your article with me! I enjoyed reading it!

      Delete
  2. We have been so blessed to be part of the Mr.Mo family.@ years ago we welcome Sweet Betty (12 years plus)into our family.We got to shower her with love until Sept 2015.On Dec 26 2015 Angie came into our home.She is 11 years old and due to a life time of neglect and ear infections she is earless(following surgery)Chris and Mariesa Hughes are amazing loving people...The Mr Mo Project is GREAT.Almost all the project dogs have wish lists too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a very special senior dog family! How wonderful that you can make that difference to the life of 2 project dogs! Angie looks like a sweetheart!

      Delete
  3. LOVED this post! I just shared it on Dakota's fan page and tagged Mr Mo Project. How insensitive and WRONG could that person be who said such a rude comment! So glad you didn't listen to it! Fabulous!! xoxo DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gift your boy has been (and what a cretin thing to say from that thoughtless person!). I share your belief that senior dogs are fantastic and deserve as much happiness as their remaining days can provide them. Love the Mr. Mo Project and what it means for senior pets. Thanks for the spotlight and thanks for providing your guys with the good life! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend! Thanks so much for supporting this post!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts