Silly Things We Say

I talk to the poodles all the time. They are amazing listeners and would easily have a future career in counseling if they want to pursue that path. Joking aside, even if they don't understand every word, they get the gist of my mood from my tone of voice and body language (although, let's be honest they're pretty smart and probably understand more than I give them credit for). I'll be the first to admit, however, that I say silly sounding things, that perhaps no human would understand. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, right?! Don't we all share a secret language of sorts with our pets?

For example, "zupe, zupe" means "get out of the way". "A-bah" means "all done" or "there is no more". This one was derived from the fact that my husband, all those years ago in babyhood, used to say "a-bah" to indicate he was "all done" and I thought it was cute so it's now in the poodle vocabulary.

We also engage in very logical sounding conversations, whereby I ask Teddy to give something to my husband, or suggest D'Art goes and picks up a very specific toy (they know their toys by name). If I ask Teddy if he likes pork he responds very enthusiastically!

On the flip side, the poodles also understand negative words and emotions. D'Art knows that a certain word that starts with "F" and ends with "uck" means that his person is in a bad mood or distressed. It makes him very concerned and extra attentive. Teddy knows that tears mean sadness and extra licks are probably in order. Luckily, neither of these scenarios happen all too often. Who could be unhappy with these two around?!

On a lighter note, I also have a bunch of nicknames for the poodles, including (although I am sure this isn't a comprehensive list):
  • Sweets
  • Handsome Boy
  • Gas Powered Poodle (that's what I call D'Art when he farts as he walks up the stairs)
  • Teddy Bear
  • D'Arty Bear
  • D'Artagnan (this is his actual name, but gets used very rarely, mostly when he's in trouble)
  • Buddy
  • Mister
  • Bunny Legs (Teddy)
I'm sure any non-dog lover would overhear me and think I've lost my marbles, but I don't mind one bit! If I do lose my marbles, I'll just say "zupe, zupe" and carry on my way and at least the poodles will know what I mean!




What about you? What special words do you share with your dogs?

Comments

  1. We do all that,and I sing silly made up songs to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! My favorite is the "Gas Powered Poodle". 😊 We recently had my parents watch Haley for the first time and I had to write a cheatsheet for all our code phrases for things she understands. My mom got a big laugh out of all those words and phrases, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I bet it made Haley feel much more at ease having someone speak her language!

      Delete
  3. I always laugh at the idea of being on a reality show and having people see how I talk to the dogs and the things I say. It's fun to be silly with our dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts