Positive Training Blog Hop - Total Recall

This positive training blog hop is on the topic of recall. This is an interesting one, as I've had two different experiences. After adopting Teddy, we kept him leashed for a few days while outside. This helped to figure out what he thought of the chickens and also kept him within eyesight among the trees and ferns. After a  few days, he was let off the leash and since then he has always stuck close. Without any intensive training, Teddy comes when called. Easy peasy! His recall is reliable (95%, he does have his moments). He comes when called, no matter how far away he might be.


And he does so with much enthusiasm!



D'Art, on the other hand, came to us with a rather independent and stubborn disposition. He answered to no one. If he wanted to come he would, but if something else was on his agenda you'd just have to take a number and wait. Since adopting him, we've worked on his manners and now a-days they are much improved! He will often come when called, just a little slower than Teddy. Sometimes he requires a reminder that you asked him to come because something along the way smelled just too interesting! Also, he's older and has stiff joints and therefore I give him a pass on the slowness.

I accept that D'Art's recall isn't foolproof, quite frankly if he sees a bunny then all bets are off. It is, however, a good compromise seeing as before training the only sure-fire way to get him to come when called was to tell him we were going in the car. We got to where we are today with a lot of positivity and treats. Whenever he came when asked there was a party with treats and happiness galore! Three years on and I still ramp up the enthusiasm for him when he comes, mainly because it gets him to move faster and I love seeing his happy face, wind flapping in his fluffy ears.




What about your recall training experience? Any tips to share?

Comments

  1. Our dog is also stubborn and if there are any rabbits - all bets are OFF. He's a doxie after all. We've been successful thanks to the HUGE party of treats! Similar to your guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treats, what would we do without them!

      Delete
  2. Our shepherds seem to know we want them to come, but when they don't, it's because they have something better in mind. I feel like there's active reasoning. Like, "Hmm... that treat looks good, but if go for it, she's going to make me come inside, so I'll hold out."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunnies are super distracting for sure. Mr. N saw one up close and it took him a minute to get his brain back in order and come back. Thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those bunnies are a challenge. Sounds like Mr. N suffers from the same bunny fever as D'Art!

      Delete
  4. I'm so lucky at the moment with my dog Laika - she's like Teddy when it comes to recall, and when I see that enthusiastic face come running back I'm so proud every single time.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We dog 'moms' are easily pleased I guess but I always feel proud too!

      Delete
  5. Sydney doesn't leave my side much; when she does, she stays on the property. When she wants to explore the woods, she waits for me to join her.

    Scout loves to run and he loves his Puller rings. To get him to come when something has his interest, I just say "get the ring, Scout, get the ring." That gets his attention right away.

    Rodrigo and his shadow, Zoey, are my challenges. I have to keep an eye on them and have been working with them consistently for three weeks on recall now that the weather is warming up. You've witnessed Rodrigo's reaction to bicycles. Imagine that on an unfenced property bordering the Centennial Trail. Not fun. He's doing a lot better - I'm using tons of praise and treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, your property being next to that trail must be a challenge some days. I am so pleased for you though that you are overcoming this! Rodrigo is such a sweetie...I don't really blame him one bit for wanting to say hello to cyclists!

      Delete
  6. The happy face is one of the best parts of positive recall training! It sounds like I use an approach a lot like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The happy dog face is the human equivalent of the dog treat!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts