Here are a few ways that the poodles communicate with me, non-verbally. I'm sure there are more, and perhaps even some that I don't consciously recognize.
- A tap on my arm or leg with his paw means, "Hello, I am here and I want some attention!"
- Long, deep stare into my eyes means, "I love you, you are my world." His stares are so 'deep' I sometimes feel like he knows me better than I do!
- Mouth silently opening and closing (like a cow chewing cud) means "I am hungry and what you are eating looks good!"
- Small, happy jumps means "What you just suggested sounds great, let's do it!" (Normal response for the suggestion of a walk or car ride.)
- Fast and 'fluttering' tail wags means "Oh look, it's you and I'm so happy to see you!"
- Licking. D'Art licks to show he loves me, especially when he is cuddly and relaxed.
- Kisses (licks on the face). D'Art will kiss when he is really excited to see me. Usually after I've been away for a few days.
|Remembering warm weather!|
- Nudges his head under my arm means "Hello, I am here and I want some attention!"
- Nudges his nose against the back of my legs as I walk down the hall (as if to propel me faster) "Let's go get dinner, I really want dinner!"
- Swift nudges with his nose, anywhere he can reach "Let's play!"
- Brief, needy looks into my eyes means, "I love you and am just checking you are still here and know that I am here too."
- Offering his paw to me so we can 'hold paws'. He does this to connect in a quiet and loving way.
- Large, happy jumps means "What you just suggested sounds great, let's do it!"
- Slower, pendulum-like tail wags means "I'm glad you're here with me; I'm happy."
- A silent and serious sit, directly in front of me. "Can I...." (e.g. Can I get up on the couch and snuggle with you? Can I have a bit of what you are eating?...etc.)
- Licking. Teddy licks to show he cares about me and is concerned. He tends to do it in a 'nurse-like' way when I am sick, melancholy or anxious.
- Nose kisses. If Teddy presses his nose against my lips or cheeks, this is his form of a kiss. He rarely licks to kiss, and just like D'Art he 'kisses' when he is really excited to see me.
|Dreaming of the floral seasons!|