Go Pet Friendly's Pet Blogger Challenge!

The Pet Blogger Challenge is about building friendships in the pet blogging community! How can I resist that! Here are my answers to the questions....


Q: How long have you been blogging? 
A: I started blogging in May of 2015. My blog is all about my two standard poodles and what it is like to live with them in the countryside. We actually live in the woods, so that factors into a lot of the blog posts (and our name), but I also write about those things that pet guardians encounter every day (health, tricks, outings, etc.)
Q: What is the one thing that you accomplished during 2015, either on your blog or because of it, that made you most proud?
A: Being a part of the blogging community has facilitated a connection with a number of lovely, like-minded people. Although pride might not be the best descriptive word for this, happy and thankful are very fitting.
Q: Which of your blog posts was your favorite this year and why? (Please include a link.)
A: I am pleased with my three part blog post about introducing dogs to poultry. This can be a challenge, as a lot of dogs would prefer to chase chickens than cohabit with them. Having experienced this myself, I am pleased that I can share what I learned with others. Here's a link to the first of three posts Dogs and Poultry Part 1
Q: A common theme from last year's challenge was that many of us wanted to increase the size of our audiences. Whether or not we intend to monetize our blogs, it seems we’d all like to reach more people. It feels good to know that we’re connecting with others, sharing a laugh or supporting a cause, and it’s motivating to see those numbers grow! What is one thing you’ve done in the past year that has brought more traffic to your blog?
A: This being my first year as a blogger, I can't say I have made many strides to increase traffic. Just writing a weekly post has been enough work for me! I do use Facebook to notify friends of my posts though, and I do believe this helps. Blog hops are fun and definitely increase views!
Q: Which of your blog posts got the most traffic this year? Why do you think it was so popular? (Please include a link.)
A: My post about positive training with shelter dogs received the most views. This is, in part, due to it being part of a blog hop and in part because the topic of positive training and giving back interests so many animal lovers!
Q: What is one blog that you read religiously – other than your own – and what makes you such a devoted reader? (Please include a link.)
A: I enjoy many blogs, and it is tough to pick just one, but I rarely miss a post from Oh My Dog! It is both informative and entertaining.
Q: What resources do you rely on to enhance your technical, writing, photography, social media, or other skills that improve your blog?
A: I recently acquired a better camera, so my forthcoming posts should have some better photos (but I'm no photographer). Other than that, I take inspiration from others in the pet blogging community but I don't really have a library of resources that I rely on.
Q: What is the best piece of advice you can offer other bloggers?
A: At one point, I put my blog on hold for a month because I was feeling overwhelmed and didn't have time to post multiple times per week (which is what I initially planned). After some time to stand back and think about it, I realized that it was completely do-able, I just had to adjust my goals (and aim for one post per week). So, in summary, don't throw in the towel when things get overwhelming, just readjust your goals.
Q: What is your vision for your blog in 2016? Do you have specific goals?
A: To continue to write about the two poodles who bring me much joy and to widen my online contacts and friend community.
Q: You have the attention of the pet blogging community – is there one blogging challenge you’d like help with, or one aspect of your blog that you’d like input on? 
A: I use blogger as my blogging format and like to include videos, but it seems as though the video player used on this interface only works from non-apple products. Any advice on a fix for that so that anyone can watch the videos? Thanks in advance!

Comments

  1. Hi there! I didn't realize your blog was so new! I just recently discovered your blog through mutual blogging friends, and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Blogville. Nice to see you and your Forest Poodles.

    I'm afraid I don't know anything about blogger. But in WordPress, we have the option of uploading video directly or putting it on YouTube or vimeo and linking to it from there. Perhaps that would work for you? And it might also get you more hits when people see your videos there first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into using YouTube instead, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! A new blog about two things I love--Poodles and the woods! I look forward to following your blog! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're still blogging and it's a honor to call you my friend. I miss the poodles - we'll have to get back on our walking schedule soon. And I want to hear more about your camera! I need a new one. I think I do, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss you too! Happy New Year, we look forward to walks and chats again soon!

      Delete
  5. Hi - I am new to your blog, but happy to know about it. I have a poodle mix named Ruby.

    In terms of posting videos, are you posting them to You-Tube and then to the blog? This is what I usually do. I also use I-Movie and think you can also post directly to a blog by copying and pasting, but haven't tried in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think YouTube might be the way for me to go. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  6. So nice to meet you in the challenge this year! It's always nice to discover new blogs and new bloggers. Good luck in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm having a blast getting to know some new blogs as a result of this!

      Delete
  7. Great advice. Sometimes we do have to readjust our goals. Our blog is on WordPress so I'm not too sure how Blogger handles video. I upload all of my videos to YouTube then paste the embed code into the the text editor in WordPress. All the best to you in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice about stepping back when it all becomes a bit much. Your dogs are adorable! Have a wonderful 2016. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your blog looks right up my alley! I look forward to reading up!

      Delete
  9. Glad you joined the challenge, next year you'll discover how much you've grown from one year to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly wait for another year, it is proving to be a fun adventure! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Welcome to the Pet Blogger Challenge, it's very nice to meet you! Oh My Dog! is one of my favorite blogs as well, so we already have something in common. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on making videos work on Blogger, but I'm sure someone will be able to help. That's the great thing about the pet blogging community - someone usually knows how to do what you're trying, and they're always happy to help. I hope that 2016 is wonderful for you and the Poodles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you found a blogging schedule that works for you. I started out posting once a week and, at one time, was posting 7 days a week! That was WAY too much. I cut down to about 4 a week and then dropped to only two or 3 a month while I was earning my masters degree. Now I hope to get back to blogging at least twice a week. I want to write more but am limited on time and want to avoid burn-out.

    I'm sorry I don't have any feedback for you regarding Blogger and videos. I'm a WordPress girl :) You might want to ask Gina from Oz the Terrier or Elizabeth from Chronicles of Cardigan though. They are pretty much Blogger experts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to have discovered your blog! I, too, have struggled with posting consistently. I tend to get very inspired and publish a string of posts, then stall out. I feel like if I posted more consistently, I would have more traffic, and that is one of the things I am working on this year. I'm also looking to improve my photography!

    I don't know much about Blogger...sorry. I started on Blogger, then moved to WordPress, then found my happy place at Squarespace.

    Looking forward to keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts