D'Art Gets It!

This positive pet training blog hop is all about training improvements! I knew instantly what I needed to write. One of the biggest improvements I've made with training Teddy and D'Art is taking advantage of their strengths. For example, Teddy is constantly stretching (think downward dog yoga pose) and so I trained him to do that by saying "yoga" every time he stretched. In no time at all, Teddy knew 'yoga' on command!

D'Art's strengths are a little different from Teddy's. When we met D'Art he ran outside and instantly grabbed a mouthful of grass. He didn't have toys at his previous home, so this is what he was used to playing with. That running and grabbing behavior he displayed on that first day is a strength of his. Seeing this, I trained him to 'get it' on command. The trick here is that 'it' isn't just anything on the ground. It is something that doesn't belong on the ground, for example a pen or piece of silverware. He's gotten so good at 'get it' that I can casually drop a variety of items on the floor and then sit down and point at the one I want him to bring me. He'll get each in order, as I ask for them. What's more, he loves this task! You can tell by his body language as he joyful gallops over the the offending object and then joyful gallops back to me to hand over the goods! Win, win! I don't have to get up and pick up the mess and he feel special doing it!


video


Comments

  1. It's so fun to figure out their natural talents! Ruby's most entertaining trick is her hind leg lift ("how do boys pee"), something she already did naturally to solicit thigh scratches. All I had to do is put it on cue. D'Art's "get it" trick looks like it could be pretty handy for a lot of things! Thanks so much for joining the hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see "how do boys pee" in action! That sounds very clever (and fun)!

      Delete
    2. You're in luck! I have a video of it in a post: http://myrubicondays.blogspot.com/2014/04/trick-training-update.html

      Delete
    3. Yup! Watching Ruby 'pee like a boy' was as cute as it sounds! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Love the yoga command! Very clever. I need to look closely at what my two are doing and come up with some alt commands... Hmmm.... They'll probably involve snarfing crumbs off the ground.

    Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could call that one "vacuum"! :) thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome that you are focusing on each dog as an individual and their different talents! When I got my second dog because she looked a lot like my first one I thought she might be similar in what she liked or disliked.. I was SO wrong and I learned a lot from it. Now I focus on each dog as an individual, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point you make there. It seems rare that two dogs, whether they share breed attributes or not, are two of a kind.

      Delete
  4. None of us will bring Mom anything. We like to fetch and then take off on our own with the item. We do a lot of individual training here too because we are all different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fun game too! Certainly if I dropped a treat instead of a pen I wouldn't get it returned to me!

      Delete
  5. I wanted to do that first trick with Luke, and I really like that command "yoga" instead of "bow" like I was going to use. He's so much quicker when we use the clicker though, that it's hard for me to get anywhere with everyday actions like that.
    That's one thing that I love about training...it makes us so much more observant of our dogs, and we're always thinking of new things we can try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason we didn't go with"bow" was mainly because it sounded too similar to some other b command words they know. I've been a later adopter of the clicker, but I think it is a great tool! The possibilities are endless!

      Delete
  6. How cool that you're developing each dog's talents! Mr. N is trained to do both but naturally he's more of a stretching dog. He has no innate retrieving instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that poodles are the smartest dogs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts