Advocating and Trying Not to Feel Like a Failure

Friday afternoon D'Art started to show signs of GI issues (vomiting) and it continued through the weekend accompanied by diarrhea. After a restless night and some online research I decided to take him to an emergency vet (our vet was closed). Bloat in dogs (especially dogs with large chest cavities like standard poodles) can be deadly. Not to mention the fact that I was concerned about dehydration, etc.



I called ahead of time and then loaded him into the car. What I found when I got there was more like a car dealership than place that cares for animals. I was asked only a few questions. When I tried to offer more, pertinent, information I was seemingly ignored. When I asked if they would like a fecal sample (to examine for parasites, blood etc?) I was laughed at (literally). As you know from a previous post, D'Art LOVES our vet and is a generally healthy dog! He didn't like this vet and nor did I. I was presented with a quote of things that need to be done and was also told that I should have come in sooner (making me feel like a failure as a pet parent). I know my dog, I know that he isn’t feeling well, but I also know that subjecting him to a long list of things likely wouldn't help (including leaving him there for the day by himself). When I asked whether the tests they were suggesting would analyse whether his GI distress was caused by parasite, virus or bacteria I was told "no, we can’t really determine that". D'Art doesn't generally eat strange things, so a foreign body was unlikely (but they still pushed for an xray). So, I thought to myself, what the heck is the point of subjecting him to all that if we don't get any answers! The vet kept reminding me that she was at the end of her 14 hour shift; as if I had enough energy to give her sympathy! I'm sure she was tired, but in my opinion that didn't give her free license to be cold and unpleasant to me and my dog. After talking it through with my other half, I quickly realized that I couldn't trust this vet to do what was best for my dog. Instead, they were just trying to sell me the most expensive services they provided (whether or not they were relevant to addressing his illness). I went into advocate mode, asking questions about each 'service' and basically paring the list down to what was actually needed. Meanwhile, I was tired and feeling emotionally fragile. It was rough.

D'Art isn't 100% yet, but he isn't dehydrated and he hasn't vomited for 24hours. I am following the instructions given to me when I left and I'm hoping to see him bounce back in the next few days. If not, we'll be off to our vet; whom we appreciate and trust. I'll be looking for another emergency vet, for those times when it's needed.

Don't forget that we can't always trust all animal professionals. Ask questions and be a good advocate for your pets. You know them best!

Comments

  1. I had a similar experience with an emergency vet service so I can sympathize with what you went through. I have given strict instructions that no dog is to get sick or injured at times when our regular veterinarian hospital is closed. I posted their open hours on the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you've been there too! It is sad, but I truly felt they were trying to take advantage of the fact that I was overtired and emotionally drained. I think I will implement the 'no getting sick when the vet is closed' policy in our house too!

      Delete
  2. So sorry you are not feeling well. When my tummy isn't feeling well I get bland chickyum. Ma is now elevating my food when I eat my dinner. It has helped alot. I eat a medium rare diet and my tummy troubles have almost disappeared.
    Hope you get to feeling better. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elevating dinner is a good idea! Thanks Carma! I'm glad to hear your tummy troubles are gone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts